Monday, August 17, 2009

Circular Strength Training: A New Experiment

Well I've completed my time following the Enter The Kettlebell protocol with my 50 lbs kettlebell. In that time my strength has increased dramatically. I recently succeeded in pressing the 80 lbs "Bulldog" Kettlebell with either arm, at a bodyweight of 135 lbs. I also am capable of achieving explosive clap pullups. Neither of these feats were even remotely possible for me before starting the program. I've also gotten leaner and even put on some lean mass. However, I know my progress has begun to stall noticeably, and it is now time to try something completely new to keep my body guessing.

I've long been intrigued by the Circular Strength Training philosophy and have wanted to incorporate some of that into my program. CST has a very novel approach to fitness. Whereas most fitness modalities have you lifting some sort of weight off the ground, CST has you moving through six-degrees of motion: Heave, Surge, Sway, Pitch, Yaw, and Roll. I find this complex view of training very interesting.

CST is founded on three "Wings" or core programs called Intu-Flow, Prasara Yoga, and Clubbell Exercise. Combining all three of these modalities should result in a "Flow State" as illustrated in the diagram from the RMax website.
According to their website you can jump in on any wing that catches your eye.




I'm starting by ordering the Big Book of Clubbell Training, which is on its way, and I downloaded the free ebook on CST bodyweight training from www.bodyweightcoach.com. If I like it, and I think I will, I'll go ahead and purchase the full book from that same website.

I won't go too much into it because I don't like speaking about things that I haven't done my due diligence to study, but I will report back when I get to read some of the materials I've ordered. I do know for certain that clubbell training has been around for ages, in various cultures and even in American culture. The illustration on the right shows a diagram of some of the exercises done with old style Indian Clubs.

Stay tuned for info on my experiences...

1 comment:

  1. You're going to love CST. I've invested in most of the RMAX programs, all high quality though some are a little pricey. Scott Sonnon is 2nd to none in breaking down exercises to the smallest detail. I started about a year and a half ago playing with Kettlebells and thought they were the ultimate. Last fall I was introduced to the Clubbell and it is now my favorite tool. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete